Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Best Things in Life . . .Aren't Things

In a world where people seem to think the more things, the more stuff, the more money they possess; the more likely it will be that they will find happiness and contentment - I'm here to say, those people need to WAKE UP and realize what is most important in this life.

I'm not going to sit here and lie to you, my sweet readers, and say that those things don't bring me joy; I love going shopping and filling my wardrobe with wonderfully fashionable new items or my house with beautiful new accents. HOWEVER, I do make a conscious effort to not put so much focus on the material things in my life, and rather set my attention on the many blessings that fill my world each and every day.

I mentioned yesterday that I recently went to Pennsylvania to celebrate my grandmother's 90th birthday. . . NINETIETH! When I stop to think about all my grandmother has lived through, experienced and seen - the first traffic signals, the Great Depression, World War II, FDR's fireside chats, the Civil Rights movement, the advent of television, the first man on the moon, Elvis, The Beatles, the Kennedy assassination, the microwave, mobile phones, the Internet - she would be the first to tell you that the most important things in life, were in fact not THINGS, but rather, family, friends and the experiences she lived through.

Do you ever stop to think of what makes certain events in your life special? OK fine, you got a new car for your 16th birthday. Yes, I'll agree that is pretty memorable. But aside from that, isn't it safe to say that what makes moments in your life so unforgettable are the PEOPLE you share them with?

We sadly live in a world that is consumed with the ME, MYSELF and I mentality. What is going to benefit ME? What is going to land ME a better job? What is going to help ME live in the house I want or drive the car I so desire? 

Don't misunderstand my sentiments. Yes, you go out and GET YOURS! Be the best YOU that you can be! BUT, while you are working on attaining your goals and dreams, don't forget to make it a point to help those around you. Lend a listening ear to a friend. Volunteer your time to help a stranger in need. Give one more hug to your loved ones and never miss the opportunity to tell them how much you love them!





No comments:

Post a Comment