Monday, December 3, 2012

Cold Comfort

For the past week I have been fighting an uphill battle against a nasty case of the sniffles! I don't know about you, but I am THE BIGGEST BABY when it comes to getting sick.

My family and friends make fun of me whenever I come down with something. Now don't be too hard on them - I would make fun of me too! I can go through major surgery and keep the biggest smile on my face and never complain. I get a sore throat or the sniffles and I swear I can't handle it.

While there may still be no cure for the not-so-common-cold, what are the things you do to help those you love and yourself feel better? Here are a few things that have helped me through the past couple of days.

My cold fighting tips:
  • Drink lots of fluids. Water, juice, clear broth or warm lemon water are all good choices. They help replace fluids. Avoid alcohol and caffeine, which can cause dehydration.
  • Grandma was right. Generations of parents have ladled chicken soup into their sick children’s mouths. Now scientists have put chicken soup to the test, discovering that it does seem to help relieve cold and flu. I actually made my grandma's recipe for homemade chicken soup for the first time this weekend. It was delicious! I don't know if it was truly the chicken soup or my thoughts of her that made me feel almost instantly better. What do you think? Look yummy?
     
  • Go to your room! If possible, stay home from work (I did) if you have a fever or a bad cough, or are drowsy after the medications. This will give you a chance to rest as well as reduce the chances that you’ll infect others. This is definitely a time when sharing is not appreciated!
  • Adjust temperature & humidity. Keep your room warmer, but not overheated. If the air is dry, a cool-mist humidifier or vaporizer can moisten the air and help ease congestion and coughing.
  • Vitamin C. The jury is still out, but it appears taking vitamin C at the onset of a cold may shorten the duration of symptoms. As with all of these tips, check with your doctor.
  • Apply VapoRub. This is my secret go-to treatment when all else fails. Did your mom use it on you, too? It brings back memories of her TLC… and really helps improve my breathing when I'm stuffy.
Now that I have kicked my cold, I am hopeful that I will be good for the rest of the winter (Fingers crossed!) What are some of your cold fighting tips (I need to bulk up my arsenal!)?

1 comment:

  1. I think you covered all the basic..Get PLENTY of rest...If your body is tired, don't fight it..rest...and if you sleep during the day and up at 12 in the morning, then that fine..take a good book and read till you are totally sleepy. Last winter I was sick for almost 3 weeks and all I did was sleep, sleep.

    ReplyDelete