Have you ever noticed that women who come from money know how to dress like it -- even when they end up living on a school teacher's salary? That's because they know a few bargain shopping secrets that help them score the luxe look without spending a fortune to get it.
You can appear to the manor born without overspending with these 5 simple steps.
1) The key is to know a classic when you see one. Study some retro photos online of Jackie Kennedy, Grace Kelly, or Audrey Hepburn - the usual icons - for a crash course in good breeding. Buy only clothing and accessories that transcend the trends and will look great every season, like a great black jacket. A well made white button-down blouse. A fitted pair of jeans. A pencil skirt. This way, you'll be able to shop sales and discount stores and buy some of your wardrobe off-season.
2) Spend up on the items you wear/carry every day. One dead giveaway that you don't have much cash to spare is if you're carrying a cheap bag -- and if you don't care one way or the other, then more power to you. However, girls who come from "money" always have at least one good bag to their name, whether they have a fat trust fund or not. Invest in a good bag, a nice winter coat, expensive-looking sunglasses, leather gloves, and a pretty scarf for winter.
3) Haunt outlets, thrift stores, semi-annual sales, discount designer websites and garage sales in upscale neighborhoods. Rich girls and girls who know how to look rich spend a lot of time bargain hunting in some very unlikely places. You'd be amazed at the designer gear you can find at Goodwill -- not only clothes but also designer bags. The same holds true for garage sales in the nicer neighborhoods in your area. Outlets and designer discount sites like Last Call, Ideeli, Haute Look, and Gilt Groupe are another great way to buy designer clothing, shoes, and accessories at deep discount, and if you love a particular high-end store, get on its e-mail list. You'll get all the news about big sales.
4) Never wear more than one "cheap" piece of clothing at a time. Think about it. That fabulous $6.80 black knit skirt you found at Forever 21 will look fabulous with tights and your black leather jacket. But put it with a $12 Forever 21 shirt and a $19.99 necklace from Target, and well, the look is diminished. I'm all for mixing in cheap stuff with your nicer investment pieces, but never wear all your inexpensive clothing and accessories all together.
5) Stun them with your shoes. You don't have to spend a fortune on an eye-catching pair of shoes. You just have to be willing to look for a while to find a pair you like and can afford. (This is where massive shoe websites like Zappos and Endless REALLY come in handy!) A flashy pair of shoes coupled with a more conservative look gives the impression that you have money to spare -- so much that you can buy a completely impractical pair of turquoise peeptoe platform heels, for example!
Out of all of these tips, remember, a lady never reveals what she's paid for something!