Thursday, December 29, 2011

Looking Ahead to 2012


"It's suspended there to remind us before we pop the champagne and celebrate the new year, to stop and reflect on the year that has gone by. To remember both our triumphs and our missteps, our promises made and broken. The times we opened ourselves up to great adventures or closed ourselves down for fear of getting hurt because that is what new years is all about - getting another chance. A chance to forgive, to do better, to do more, to give more, to love more. And stop worrying about what if and start embracing what would be. So when that ball drops at midnight, and it will drop, let's remember to be nice to each other, kind to each other. And not just tonight but all year long." - Hillary Swank, New Year's Eve

Last week I went to see New Year's Eve with my mother. As soon as I saw the previews I knew it was going to be my type of movie, but I honestly didn't know if I would love it as much as I did. Watching the story unfold, it made me think of my own life and what I wanted for the new year.

I am really bad about making and keeping resolutions. I hate to simply go with the staple resolutions like, "I want to live a healthier lifestyle," or "I want to be a better person." Well no kidding. Shouldn't we be striving for those types of things anyway?

In 2012, I truly do hope for change in myself. I just don't know what exactly that change is going to be. Remember the post I wrote about not fully ever feeling grown up when you have a physical disability such as mine because people are always helping you with your day to day needs (If you missed it, you can check it out here.)?

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining that I can still connect to my younger self, however, with 34 right around the bend, it is time to embrace my more adult self; but how? It isn't like I am not mature, and believe me, I have no problem handling the world and my responsibilities, but I just have this nagging, almost empty feeling that I have not reached full adulthood, and it sucks!

So, in an attempt to fill that desire, here are a few resolutions I have picked for myself for 2012:

1) Even though it may be easier for someone else to do a task I am capable of; take the extra time and work through it as much on my own as possible. . .it will get easier!

2) Going along with number one. . .don't be so quick to let people do for me what I can do myself.

3) Reach the goal of mastering at least five different physical abilities I couldn't do at the beginning of the year. . .this means starting a physical therapy plan and sticking to it!

In addition, I have come up with a few more resolutions that are a bit more "wish list" related:

1) Majorly update my wardrobe; I'm tired of looking at so many of the same clothes.

2) Reach at least 300 signed up followers for I Look Good Today.

3) Get a new "convertible" (i.e. wheelchair). Momma needs a new ride!

So what are some of your New Year's resolutions friends?

2 comments:

  1. I like your ambitious yet realistic goals. Especially the physical therapy and wardrobe ones. I can't wait to see your new outfits!

    PS: You should see it Betsey can collab on a convertible design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea to write the resolutions down on here! Best wishes to you in 12 with the list. I think we all would like to reach the new wardrobe! (I stick to the same go to staples, I need to step out of my comfort zone)

    ReplyDelete