Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Baby You're a Firework!


Every time Katy Perry's song "Firework" comes on the radio, I get instantly excited, crank up the volume and belt out the words at the top of my lungs; filling my spirit with joy and laughter.

Come on, sing it with me. I know you know the words. . .

You just gotta ignite the light
And let it shine
Just own the night
Like the Fourth of July

Cause baby you're a firework
Come on show 'em what you're worth
Make 'em go "Oh, oh, oh!"
As you shoot across the sky-y-y

Besides the fact that I love the song in general, I really love what the lyrics to this song represent, especially to me.

Living with a physical disability I face a world of judgement on a daily basis; and more times than not I find myself having to prove my ability above and beyond what a person without my physical challenges would have to do.

I can't tell you the number of times that it has been assumed by complete strangers that I have a learning disability strictly because I use a wheelchair to get around. Or they talk about me to my husband like I am not even there; asking questions that I am more than capable of answering.

Do those interactions hurt or anger me? Of course they do. Then I remind myself that their reaction to me isn't necessarily meant to be hurtful. For so many it is a lack of knowledge when it comes to people with disabilities. People become uncomfortable with what they don't understand.

When I hear "Firework" I think, yes, that's me! The song is like an anthem for anyone who wants to prove to the world they are worth it.

I know I am worth it!

It doesn't matter to me that I sit in a wheelchair. Those I come in contact with, or even those that might only see me from a distance, are going to know that I have a lot to offer. That there is so much inside of me that is just bursting to get out like a firework.

I have been blessed with many opportunities to show the world that this chair is not going to stop me. . .it's going to get me there faster (I have turbo!)!

So the next time you hear Katy Perry's "Firework" on the radio, let it speak to your inner Diva and don't be afraid to show the world what's inside of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment