Monday, June 27, 2011

Remembering the 80's. Put on Your Jelly Shoes, Slap Bracelets & Banana Clips. It's Time to Rock!




"I'm just a bill, sitting up on Capitol Hill"

Recently we had a "Music Through the Decades" event at work. Being a child of the 80's I was all too excited to throw on my off the shoulder sweater, and arm full of jelly bangle bracelets, sport the side ponytail that helped accentuate the neon star dangle earrings and of course topped it off with the rolled up, torn jeans and penny loafers. I am one of those people that LOVED the 80's, big hair and all. Everything from the bubble gum music to the cheesy movies to the fashion trends, I look back and think what a great time in my life the 80s were.

Here are some more things from the 80's I can't help but love.

{Within the last few months our local supermarkets have been carrying Throwback Pepsi with real sugar. Soooo much better tasting then today's sodas.}


{Kissing Potion. Just the name made me by this product in those hopes of snagging a first kiss. Not only did this roll on lip gloss taste FABULOUS it made your lips nice and shiny too. Although no longer being produced, I have found it being sold on Ebay (Where else). I might have to snag me some.}

{It may be hard me to understand the current kid obsession with Silly Bandz, but when I think back to my own childhood, I am reminded of the very similar slap bracelet craze. I had a drawer full of these things! Teachers went crazy with the constant cracking heard as kids took them on and off. The disruption was evidently too much to handle as the beloved bracelets were banned. BOO!}

{Debbie Gibson's fedora-style hat. I still remember the day I got mine, a gift from my grandmother. I still remember opening the wrapping. It was like the clouds parted and the angel's I heard the angels singing "Only in My Dreams."

{Jelly Shoes. Available in a rainbow of colors and styles. The plastic shoes made your feet sweat, but they sure were fun. High-end designers like Louis Vuitton and Marc Jacobs still continue to bring back the nostalgia factor of these shoes each summer.}

{She-Ra Princess of Power. I LOVED this cartoon! I had the action figures, the coloring books. I still like to shout out, "For the honor of Greyskull. . .I am She-Ra!!!!"}

{Truly outrageous! Jem and the Holograms dolls and cartoons. I am almost embarrassed to admit that I have the first season of Jem on DVD and love it just as much now as I did as a child. With her star earrings that would change her from Jerrica to Jem, you had the best of both worlds, a conservative business girl and a punk rocker!}
What were the best fads you remember growing up? What were the worst? Do you think your favorite childhood items could rival today's Silly Bandz?






3 comments:

  1. Jellies!! I loved them!!! My Mom actually found a pair of jelly flip flops not too long ago and gave them to me!! They were the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so adorable! I love the side pony tail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the side pont yail too Ruth LOL.

    I cannot tell you ladies how much I loved dressing like this again. Not sure I could get away with it on a daily basis, but I might just try it one day :)

    ReplyDelete