Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Take the Test: Are you a Shopaholic?


There's shopping and then there is your over-the-top purchasing that can wreak havoc on a person's life and wallet. I remember trips to the mall before I made my own money, armed with bday present or Christmas money and would think nothing on spending the majority on one item instead of getting the most for my money.

People who become preoccupied with with buying "stuff" and repeatedly spend money on items, regardless of need, are commonly referred to as shopaholics. Sometimes I feel like that impulse could be harbored inside of me, but I do my best to keep it at bay and typically my splurging on an item I didn't intend to buy ends up being on something like a new lipstick or fun accessory. . .not a $450 pair of shoes.

A new test on livescience.com that could be extremely helpful in curbing those impulsive habits before they attack includes six statements, for which individuals answer on a seven-point scale from strongly disagree to strongly agree:

  • My closet has unopened shopping bags in it.
  • Others might consider me a "shopaholic".
  • Much of my life revolves around my next purchase.
  • I buy things I don't need.
  • I buy things on impulse when I go to a store.
  • I consider myself an impulsive buyer.
Those who score twenty-five or higher would be considered compulsive buyers. The test could help you know when you should leave your credit cards at home the next time you head out to shop.

2 comments:

  1. Happy to report that I am not a shopaholic. I'm sure my fiance is happy about this as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be, if I wasn't such a cheapskate. The two impulses fight in me, and the one that wants to hang onto money almost always wins!

    ReplyDelete