Thursday, September 1, 2011

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark


Earlier this week I went to see the new Guillermo del Toro’s remake of the horror/thriller Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark.

Here's the synopsis:

Once upon a time, more than a hundred years ago, the only son of the renowned naturalist and artist Emerson Blackwood disappeared into the inky blackness of their basement ash pit. Shortly after, Emerson vanished himself, disappearing down a rabbit hole from whose unfathomable darkness he would never
emerge.


Blackwood Manor has new tenants. While architect Alex Hurst (Pearce) and his new girlfriend Kim (Holmes) restore their Gothic mansion’s period interiors, Alex’s young daughter Sally (Madison)—neglected by her real mother and brushed aside by the careerist father—can investigate the macabre history and dark corners of the estate.

Spurring Sally’s investigation are the voices—rasping whispers who call out to her from the basement, who promise her understanding and friendship, who are so very hungry and would like to be set free. When Sally gives in to her curiosity, she opens a gateway into a hellish underworld from which an army of beady-eyed, sharp-clawed monsters emerge, small in size but endless in number: the homunculi.

Confronted with the horror that now threatens to taker her life and destroy her family, Sally desperately tries to warn the whole house, but there’s just one problem: no one believes her. Will she make them understand in time, or will they become another chapter in the centuries-long horror story of Blackwood Manor?


I have always loved scary movies. Not so much the hack and slash horror flicks; I like psychological thrillers. Back in the day some of my favorite horror movies were Psycho, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Pet Cemetery, Scream. . .

When previews for Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark came out, I hate to admit it, but my first attraction to seeing the movie was because Katie Holmes was in it. I told you, I have a girl crush!

My hubby IS NOT a fan of scary movies, and as grown up as I'd like to believe I am, I am not going to a scary movie alone. Lucky for me, my BFF shares my love of things that go bump in the night and so we made a date to see this movie.

I'm going to be honest. I didn't love it (Sorry Katie). It was good, but the scare factor that I thought I was going to experience, was just not there. There were some moments that made me jump or want to cover my eyes, but those moments were few and far between.

The creatures that inhabit the home are creepy, I will give them that. I don't even know how to explain what they are. Their voice is what gets to me. This whispering voice that gives me chills. However once their appearance is revealed their scare factor really diminishes. I won't lie, I was comforted by the nightlight that we keep on in our master bath that sheds just the smallest bit of light into our bedroom. Hey those little critters don't like the light, so I knew I was safe (*wink*).

The thing I did really like about the movie was the family's dynamic. I think that little Sally is what truly really makes the movie. She is quite the actress!

I'm still trying to peace together the ending. I don't want to say too much about it for those who haven't seen the movie, but the ending just has me scratching my head.

Would I recommend Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark? Yes, but save your money for when you can watch it on Netflix or rent it from a Red Box! It is worth a see, just not the $10 + you'll spend at the theater.

Have you seen this movie? Did you like it?

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I like movies that raise questions and keep my curiosity. I also frequently have a problem when the monster or whatever it is gets revealed that too much of the tension vanishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the reason I did really like the movie is the relationship that builds between Sally and Kim. It starts out rocky. . .Sally doesn't want to like her dad's new girlfriend, but throughout the film that relationship really blossoms into something really special!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I Hate scary movies and I HATE the trailer for this movie where the little girl goes under the covers and then BAM nasty homonculi! NO NO NO! My imagination is much too wild to let myself see scary movies.
    My husband has been watching all your favorites for YEARS of his childhood so he is introducing me to Michael Myers and Freddy. Slowly. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See when I was a little girl, Michael Myers and Freddy were scary. Now not so much. Like I said, the worst for me where these things creepy voices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamie, remember when how afraid we were watching the movies...and yet, we hid behind the pillows...

    ReplyDelete