Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Butterfly Syndrome

We all have had it at some point in our lives. It keeps us up at night, it makes us daydream during the day and it makes up check our email/texts/voicemails over and over again. I'm talking about what I call The Butterfly Syndrome.

No, this is not some crazy illness that requires medical attention (Well, I guess it could if you are crazy enough, but I digress). This is the feeling you get when you are crazy about someone. That uncontrollable feeling in your stomach that will not be ignored.

Now this is usually the feeling you have when you are first starting to date a person. The thought of them instantly puts a smile on your face. Their embrace makes you weak in the knees. When you are not together you can't stop thinking about them and you cherish every single phone call, text or email that comes from them.

When my hubby and first met, oh I had it BAD! Can I tell you a secret (Promise you won't laugh!)? After only a few months of dating he went to Chicago to visit one of his guy friends from high school. He was going to be gone for a week or so. He called me when he could throughout the day and each night before he went to bed. I missed him soooo much that I would call his work voicemail (We worked in the same company) multiple times throughout the day just so I could hear his voice. I'd look at pictures of him. I had a cologne of his at my apartment and at night I would spray it on my t-shirt so I could smell him when I went to bed. OMG crazy lady much?

Now we have been together for 10 years and things have "calmed down" as far as those butterflies are concerned. Don't get me wrong, I still love my hubby with all my heart, but let's face it, things change after that initial newness of the relationship wears off and your lives become one.

Well ladies, I have a confession. I don't know what is in the air, but The Butterfly Syndrome is back with a vengeance for my hubby. Ever since we returned home from being with my family over the holidays things have been "different".

My hubby and I have a wonderful relationship already, and it is hard to imagine that it could get any better, but it is. Last night I went to bed before him and I could not stop thinking about him as you would when you first meet. I couldn't wait to kiss him again, to be in his embrace again, to hear his voice again and HELLO he was just in the other room. All I had to do was call out to him, but I didn't. I enjoyed revelling in the intensity of my love and desire for him.

The funny part about this whole thing is it seemed to come out of nowhere. We aren't actively doing anything different, however I do notice that we are both making it a point to leave our stresses at work (as much as possible) and to not take for granted the blessing of each other that we have. Just those things alone have rejuvinated feelings for both of us.

It is such a wonderful feeling to see him secretly watching me from across the room with such a look of, "gosh I love this woman."

So how about it ladies? Do you suffer from The Butterfly Syndrome? What do you do to keep those sparks alive?

4 comments:

  1. When soul mates meet, the stars twinkle brighter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I SO am afflicted, too!
    The thing about being married is that people change, and feelings change. Things ebb and flow and swell back up to being in love again many, many times. This is just the amazing part of being married! I'm so happy you two are together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you are afflicted too!!! You are right about being married. It's a whole different reality than just dating (or even being engaged for that matter!)and I love it!

      Delete