Growing up in an Italian family the word mangia, which means eat, was commonly heard. From homemade pastas and soups to decadent desserts, there was never a shortage of scrumptious goodies to be found that were a tribute to our heritage.
As an adult one of my very favorite Italian desserts is tiramisu. A coworker of mine recently brought this no bake tiramisu to work. It was absolutely one of the best tiramisu recipes I had ever tasted, and when I found it was a no bake it was definitely for me.
3 egg yolks
½ Cup sugar
½ Cup milk
1 pk mascarpone cheese* (8oz)
1 ¾ Cup heavy cream
2 pk ladyfingers (3 oz each)
1/3 Cup coffee liqueur (or brandied espresso**)
Unsweetened cocoa powder for garnish
Chocolate curls for garnish
1. In a medium saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until lemon colored, about 1 minute. Whisk in milk and cook over medium heat, stir constantly, until mixture boils for 1 minute, remove from heat and allow cooling slightly. Cover tightly and chill in refrigerator 1 hour.
2. Add mascarpone cheese to yolk mixture, beat until smooth.
3. Whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
4. Fold whipped cream into egg yolk mixture; set aside.
5. Line bottom and side with ladyfinger halves. Brush with coffee liqueur.
6. Spread one third of yolk-cream mixture over ladyfingers, repeat layers.
7. Garnish with cocoa and chocolate curls.
8. Cover and refrigerate overnight or until it set.
* Substitute for mascarpone cheese:
Combine 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, ¼ cup sour cream and 2 table spoons whipping cream, mix until blended and fluffy.
** Brandied Espresso:
Combine 1/3 cup hot water and 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules. Stir until coffee is dissolved. Blend in 1 teaspoon brandy.