Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Guest Post: So About What I Said


Hello, everyone! My name is Melissa, and I blog over at So About What I Said, where I love talking about everything from my physial disability to my favorite shopping finds. I was so excited when Jamie asked me to guest post on her lovely blog today. Can you believe it's 2012 already? I say this every single year, but I don't know where the time goes. If you're like me, you view the New Year as a new beginning of sorts. Your slate from the past year is wiped clean. Whether you accomplished your goals (read: giving up soda pop? Ooops, I didn't either!) or forgot what they were in the first place, it's a new beginning. You've got a fresh start...starting now! But as the hustle and bustle of 2012 goes into full swing, it can be hard to find the time to think of what it is we actually want to happen over the next 12 months. I've been thinking about this a lot over the last few days. So, friends, to help you on your New Year's journey, I give you my Top 4 Tips To Feeling Your Best. These ideas have worked for me, and I hope you'll find them helpful too.
 

The world moves so fast, doesn't it? Whether we have work obligations, a long grocery list to tackle or piles of unwashed laundry overflowing, it sometimes seems like we have zero downtime. This, my friends, is when it's time to just stop. I've always found journaling to be the perfect de-stress activity. Maybe it comes from the fact that I'm a writer, but getting my feelings and thoughts down on paper helps me make sense of everything. In the last few years, I've sort of transferred my journaling to my blog, but the end result remains the same: A clear head and a new sense of calm!

I've realized something: Ask anyone about their favorite song, and their face lights up as they begin to wax poetic about what "that" song means to them. For me, "that" song has always been Sting's Fields of Gold for its beautiful melody and romantic lyrics. Music has such a calming power, doesn't it? Why not turn on the fireplace after a long day, put your feet up and listen to your favorite album?

I know, sometimes they can get on your nerves, but when you think about it, your family are the only group of people who will always love you unconditionally. My mom and I have a long-standing ritual of playing Yahtzee in the evenings. It's relaxing, and I love being able to spend quality time with her after we've both had a busy day.

A couple years after my father died, we got a cat. We'd never been cat people, and honestly, we weren't sure if it was going to work. We fell in love with Harry, our new feline, right away, and a few years later, Stella, a grey, white and brown cutie, came along. Any time I need to calm down, I just pet them, see them looking up at me and can't help but smile. That's them, above, taking a nap. Aren't they cute?

Hopefully, these tips will help you get your year off on the right foot. I'd love to know what works for you. What are your tried and true tips for feeling your best?

What are you going to do in the New Year to make yourself happy? Happy New Year! xoxo

6 comments:

  1. Hello and what a lovely post. I have just started following this blog so being introduced to yet another blogger is a double opportunity to learn more. I de-stress by writing which is good since writing is a great chunk of my work. When I need to sort things out in my head I like to spend the evening taking a long warm bath in the segregation of the bathroom where nobody will disturb. Walking is also a great stress reliever for me and in summer, nothing beats swimming in the sea as opposed to swimming pool which I really don't find relaxing at all. There is one small corner of the world where I like to retreat to every so often and there is where I feel as close to serenity as I can ever be. Take care & hope 2012 will be as serene as you want it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa!!!
    Nice to seeyou over at Jamie's! Great post; love what you said about family being frustrating at times but the only people who will always love you. So true, it really puts some things in perspective in hard times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone -- thank you, Jamie, for letting me guest post for your awesome blog!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. FairyFiligree I'm so glad that you have found me and now Melissa's lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Melissa's tips for feeling your best in 2012. I find that I too do a lot of these same things. I will say that one thing that always gives me a pick me up is singing. I may not be the next Christina Aguilera, but I like to think I can carry a tune. I have always found that singing, no matter where I am: in the car, in the shower, in my kitchen, etc always makes me feel better and puts me in the best of moods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think for 2012 I want to write more. I used to love that years ago..Writing helps a lot.

    I love reading your tips, Melissa.

    I used to have a little dog and I talk to her all the time..LOL!! And the best thing was all she had to do was give you the look with that big eyes she had. Pets are amazing...

    ReplyDelete