Happy Valentine’s Day Love! This has always been one of my favorite holidays and not just for the romantic gestures. More than anything I think today is all taking extra focus to and pampering yourself! Whether you have that someone special in your life or not, don't let this special day go by without indulging in the things that make you feel great about YOU!
When was the last time you showed yourself some love? Surely you learned the many ways you can love yourself. It starts with being good to you. It’s about honoring who you are on the inside, nurturing your inner spirit, and treating yourself well.
Some ideas about how to love yourself…
- Cultivate your hobbies and interests… develop your talents and skills.
- Practice being good to your body and your soul, through healthy diet, exercise and spiritual enrichment.
- Select friends who lift you up and support you through all sorts of challenges.
And in the matter of finding real, lasting love… a wise person once said that before you can love another, you must learn to love yourself.
Now, what about once you’re IN a relationship? Do you still remember to love yourself? Or, are you so caught up in giving your all to your boyfriend, husband, children, or other family members, that you put yourself last and least on the list? Or worse… are you even ON the list?
The thing about loving yourself is this - it’s not supposed to stop once you commit to being with another person. Sure, if you’re a wife or mom, you know that self-sacrifice is part of the job description. A typical, loving mother finds that there are only a certain number of hours in the day, and she is lucky to find one or two of these to devote solely to her own needs.
But the truth is that we cannot fill the cup of others’ needs if our own well has run dry. And this is where self love comes in.
No matter how old we are, no matter how devoted to our partners or families… we MUST find time to love ourselves.
So this Valentine’s Day I’ve got some ideas about how to bring back those loving feelings… for YOU! Sure you can hit the town with your honey tonight… send him to work with love notes and little heart-shaped candies. But don’t forget to make some room in your schedule for self-love today too!
10 Ways to Love Yourself on Valentine’s Day (Or Any Day)
- Take time out for a hot soak in the tub. Add botanical oils and mineral salts for some scented soothing. You won’t believe how relaxed you’ll feel!
- Make a mix CD of your favorite love songs… play it in the car on your travels today!
- Schedule some professional pampering. Nothing like a great new haircut or manicure to help you reconnect with the Goddess within.
- Plan a “girls’ night in”. Pop popcorn, rent chick flicks, do each other’s hair and laugh the night away!
- Work in a workout. Whether it’s joining the gym or hitting the trails a couple of times a week, you’ll feel so much better once you finally commit to regular exercise. Love your body!
- Take a day off from dieting. So maybe you’re sick of salads and tired of the treadmill. Reward yourself for making such a great effort to be healthy. Indulge in a healthy decadent treat!
- Ask for what you need. Wow, pretty simple, huh? Whether it’s an oil change, a day off or even just a hug…the best way to get something that helps you feel loved is to ask someone who loves you to give it to you.
- Take a class. Have you always wanted to cook Cantonese… sketch the human form… use a potter’s wheel? Why not indulge that delightful, childlike curiosity? Have a new experience, meet some new people, learn something.
- Get a massage. Pay a professional, or borrow a book from the library and have your Valentine perfect his technique on your back, neck and shoulders. Return the favor. Ahh… bliss…